test freezer compressor

Moderator: jeff1

test freezer compressor

Postby rleescott » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:27 am

20 yo manual defrost GE upright freezer 162D4046p001. won't start but clicks, iced over and water everywhere. Tested relay and it passes. Will external overload protector click also? Will internal overload protector click? I have tested the 3 compressor terminals and it doesn't add up right, even though all show continuity.
start>run= 2.9 ohms
run>common=1.8 ohms
start>common=2.0 ohms
I thought run/start total should equal run>common +start>common. I have 2.9 vs 3.8. If it is supposed to be closer than this, what do my readings mean?
rleescott

Re: test freezer compressor

Postby jeff1 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi,

Will external overload protector click also?

Yes.

Will internal overload protector click?

If it had one, nope.

Tested relay and it passes

What was the tests?...and what where the results?

I have tested the 3 compressor terminals and it doesn't add up right, even though all show continuity.
start>run= 2.9 ohms
run>common=1.8 ohms
start>common=2.0 ohms

True, a little off.
First check to see if you have windings in the compressor. Then check to see if they are grounded. If the compressor has windings and they are not grounded, you can find which winding is which. Check for grounded windings by reading from each terminal to a good ground on the cabinet. Read from the top terminal to the lower left terminal. Read from the top terminal to the lower right terminal. Read from the lower left terminal to the lower right terminal. Write down the resistance of each reading as you go. The highest reading you get will be the run and start winding of the compressor in series with each other. The other terminal left will be the common terminal. Read from the common terminal to each of the other terminals. The terminal with the lower resistance will be the run winding. The higher resistance the start winding.

A common reading may be: ( EXAMPLE ONLY! )
start>run= 6 ohms
run>common=1 ohms
start>common=5 ohms

won't start but clicks

The compressor can fail electrically or mechanically.

jeff.
jeff1
Site Admin

Postby rleescott » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:35 am

Jeff:
As you can see from my original post I already tested the winding and verified the R,S, and C pins, and submitted the totals. You say 2.9 vs 3.8 is a little off, and I ask if your experience tells you there is an electrical failure, even though there is continuity?
I tested all pins to ground and it passed.
I tested the relay as described here http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/applianc ... relay2.php and it passed. I tried a new relay anyway, which ohmed out indentically to the original, and no improvement.
I would like to change my original description though. Rather than a click, it is more like a marbles in a can rattle for 2 seconds after startup, then off for 30 secs, followed by a single click, which feels like it is in the compressor rather than the external overload protector.
rleescott

Postby jeff1 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:09 pm

The compressor can fail electrically or mechanically.

I tried a new relay anyway, which ohmed out indentically to the original, and no improvement.

Compressor is bad then, esp since you have eliminated the relay....but doesn't really matter which since a compressor with an electrical issue = new compressor time and a compressor with an mechanical issue = new compressor time.

jeff.
jeff1
Site Admin

Postby rleescott » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Ok, but for my own learning, I'd still like to know the significance of the terminal measurements being off by the amount I stated when added together.
Also, does the rattling in the compressor for the few seconds when it runs, sounding like marbles in a can, mean anything specific, like bearing, rotor in pieces, etc?.
rleescott

Postby jeff1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:00 pm

I'd still like to know the significance of the terminal measurements being off

They should either add up or be very close.

Examples only.
R-S 15
C-R 5
C-S 10

R-S 7.2
C-R 2
C-S 5.1

Also, does the rattling in the compressor for the few seconds when it runs, sounding like marbles in a can, mean anything specific, like bearing, rotor in pieces, etc?.

Can't really say without hearing or testing for myself.....but a broken crank, broken piston can make some odd noises from inside the compressor....even a stretched, unhooked or broken spring an make some odd noises from inside the compressor.

jeff.
jeff1
Site Admin

Return to Appliance Parts & Repair