Whirlpool dryer problem

Moderator: jeff1

Whirlpool dryer problem

Postby Bree » Wed May 02, 2018 8:53 am

I have a Whirlpool gas dryer that doesn't want to turn on, when it did turn on last, it made a clunking type noise and had a high pitched squeal, and when you try to start it, there is a burnt smell that you start to smell afterwards. The belt is on correctly and is practically brand new. I have cleaned all the lint out of the entire machine, including the place where you put the lint trap, replaced the exhaust hose that leads to the wall, cleaned out the area that leads to outside the house where the hot air goes when it leaves the machine, and it still has a burnt smell each time you attempt to start it. I have replaced the thermal fuse, checked the idler pulley and rear drum supports and they move fine. The timer, coils, and door switch were all replaced within the last year. The igniter was replaced two years ago. I just replaced the rear drum seal two days ago. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. I am hoping it's not the motor, and don't want to replace it if I don't have to, but if that's my only option, I guess I'll have to. Any ideas?
Bree

Re: Whirlpool dryer problem

Postby jeff1 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi,

I have a Whirlpool gas dryer that doesn't want to turn on

Model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model-number.php Some model# helps.

I have cleaned all the lint out of the entire machine

Good!

cleaned out the area that leads to outside the house where the hot air goes when it leaves the machine

Good!

when you try to start it, there is a burnt smell that you start to smell afterwards

I am hoping it's not the motor

It so far sounds like a sour motor :(

2 common Whirlpool motors:

Whirlpool / KitchenAid Dryer Motor. Short shaft motor for late model dryers

Whirlpool/Kenmore dryer motor. This motor was used in most Whirlpool dryers built between 1964 and 1996

jeff.
jeff1
Site Admin

Return to Appliance Parts & Repair