Maytag Washer SAV515DEWW water fill level

Moderator: jeff1

Maytag Washer SAV515DEWW water fill level

Postby Henry1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:31 am

Hey guys. This time it's about the Maytag washer and water fill level. Regardless of where the "infinite water level" knob is turned, the washer fills to at least 75%. If I turn the fill setting all the way to "extra large load", it fills completely. So, the issue is that it isn't working at the low end. I'd appreciate your thoughts fixing this. Thanks again for all previous help and in advance for this latest appliance problem!
Henry1

Re: Maytag Washer SAV515DEWW water fill level

Postby jeff1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi,

Make sure the knob is not cracked and actually adjusting the water level control.
I'd carefully pull off the hose from the water level control and blow through it to make sure there are no obstructions.
If all checks ok, I'd try a new WLC switch.

jeff.
jeff1
Site Admin

Postby Henry1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:05 am

Hello, Jeff: I'll give those suggestions a try. Looks like it's fairly easy to get to the switch. I do think the problem is with it since there is a definite detent clicking to the knob when I turn it. I appreciate the usual quick reply!
Henry1

Postby jeff1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm

If you get a chance, keep us posted.

jeff.
jeff1
Site Admin

Postby Henry1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:22 am

Jeff: I finally got my hands on one of the WLC switches you specified. Seems like no matter where you go for one it's a back order!
I waited until I had the part in hand so I only had to open up the washer once. So, first thing I noticed is that when I blow into the plastic tube it does appear to be blocked. I really gave it a good try and there is definite back pressure and I couldn't get it to open up. So, is that the likely issue? Also, I was attempting to install the new one just to see if I could and I've got a problem there as well. The old one was two-piece where you had to push a tab and rotate it to pull it out of what I'll call a bezel or front piece with the actual friction prongs. This new one is all one piece, but while it has friction prongs and they seem to be in the right place and they do line up with the opening in the washer...they do not click into place and the switch won't stay put. The switch doesn't look like it's going to work. So, I'm bummed about that, but hoping I may not need it if the actual problem is with the blockage in the tube in which case how would I clear that out? Part of my problem is that I'm not clear on how this thing works and why there would be a blockage in that line. Really looking forward to your thoughts at this point! :cry:
Henry1

Postby Henry1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:47 am

Jeff: Something more to add to that last post: Since I had the new WLC switch connected I ran the washer through a cycle to see if it would have any effect, and it doesn't seem to. Running it this afternoon also gave me a chance to check for a repeat of something I noticed last time the machine was used. At the end of the wash cycle, after it gets done pumping and spinning and should be putting water in for the rinse cycle, it doesn't do that...it goes right to agitation without benefit of rinse water. Since both of these issues involve water I'm wondering if there's some connection. Now I'm really looking forward to hearing what you think!
Henry1

Postby Henry1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 am

Jeff: In rereading your original reply, I now realize you were talking about potential blockage in the WLC, not the plastic line running into the washer. The WLC has no back pressure and I assume is ok in that regard. The plastic line into the washer has back pressure. Thought I'd add that for clarity.
Henry1

Postby jeff1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:03 pm

So, first thing I noticed is that when I blow into the plastic tube it does appear to be blocked. I really gave it a good try and there is definite back pressure and I couldn't get it to open up. So, is that the likely issue?

When disconnected from the WLC, you should be able to easily blow trough the hose into the tubs. If not, yes it could be clogged somewhere.

The old one was two-piece where you had to push a tab and rotate it to pull it out of what I'll call a bezel or front piece with the actual friction prongs. This new one is all one piece, but while it has friction prongs and they seem to be in the right place and they do line up with the opening in the washer...they do not click into place and the switch won't stay put.

Kinda sounds like the wrong part.

Original:
Regardless of where the "infinite water level" knob is turned, the washer fills to at least 75%. If I turn the fill setting all the way to "extra large load", it fills completely. So, the issue is that it isn't working at the low end.

New:
At the end of the wash cycle, after it gets done pumping and spinning and should be putting water in for the rinse cycle, it doesn't do that...it goes right to agitation without benefit of rinse water.

The problem has changed?

I now realize you were talking about potential blockage in the WLC, not the plastic line running into the washer.

More meant the hose but both should be checked.

jeff.
jeff1
Site Admin

Postby Henry1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:24 am

Jeff: Both things are happening...no control over water level, apparently caused by the blocked tube into the washer, and no water coming in at all for the rinse cycle. I only confirmed the lack of rinse water with this last load cycle. It's beginning to sound like different causes?
Henry1

Postby jeff1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:02 pm

It's beginning to sound like different causes?

That may be possible.

no control over water level

That is normally WLC, WLC hose.

no water coming in at all for the rinse cycle

Fill valve, water temp board, timer might be suspects.

jeff.
jeff1
Site Admin

Postby Henry1 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:11 am

So, with regard to the water level control issue, in your experience with a blocked hose situation like this one,, how do I clear that hose?
With regard to to water not coming in for the rinse, seems to me that is likely not a valve issue since it works on the initial fill...does that sound right? Sounds more to me like a control board issue. There is a board in there and perhaps that could be changed out if available? But I'll probably only do that if the fill level issue can be resolved as well, because I can work around both issues if I need to until I buy a new washer. This one is now 14 years old, but like most of the folks on this forum I'd like to repair what I can and keep it in service as long as possible!
by way of general comment, I know the new front load washers are all the rage these days, but I like the top load design. The front loaders that I've seen seem to have much longer cycle times and that's one thing about them that I really don't like, plus I don't need my washer to make electronic music! :lol:
Henry1

Postby Henry1 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:15 am

The other possibility you mentioned is the timer...is that in the main control knob that is used to set the cycle type? Is that a replaceable item?
Henry1

Postby jeff1 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:09 pm

how do I clear that hose?

Remove the hose, blow through it, flush water through it.
Many times we would remove the tub cover so we could peek down between the tubs with a flash light and see the hole end in the outer holding tank to inspect it.

With regard to to water not coming in for the rinse, seems to me that is likely not a valve issue since it works on the initial fill...does that sound right?

It can, but something like the cold 1/2 of the valve has let go and with the washer set to a warm wash and cold rinse the hot water can still come in on warm and make the washer fill but when it comes to the rinse the water would not flow because of the cold 1/2 of the fill valve was bad.

is that in the main control knob that is used to set the cycle type? Is that a replaceable item?

Yes, yes.

jeff.
jeff1
Site Admin

Postby Henry1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 am

Jeff: Well, here's what I found out. Following your suggestion I removed the hinge clips so I could checkout the blocked tube and found the problem right away. There's a friction clip right where the top and bottom of the washer meet and that clip and the tube were mashed flat. When I removed the tube and blew into it, no back pressure. So, I opened the clip and reinserted the tube, closed it back up and have just run it through a cycle. I set if for two rinses and it filled to appropriate levels both times. Both problems seem to be resolved. So, I'm going to call it fixed, but will be watching it for a while to verify. We sometimes have extremely low water pressure and I've wondered it that could be part of the problem. Appreciate your help! :D
Henry1

Postby jeff1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:58 pm

Thankx for the update :!:

jeff.
jeff1
Site Admin

Return to Appliance Parts & Repair